Find out more about these new posts, ‘Chris’ Rambles‘.
Join Chris as she sets off, aided by an unusual sixteenth century map, encounters an excentric English polymath with big ambitions, and with the help of a medieval Irish monk, discovers a fresh view of the arrival of the Tuatha Dé Danann.
And a good ramble is always best shared so please feel free to join in.
Supporting links for this episode.
- Explore the map in an easily searchable format
- The Beauty of Maps: The programmes are not currently available on BBB i-player but there are trailers.
- View a short You tube video about the map from the Map House of London.
- John Dee, King Arthur, and the Conquest of the Arctic by Thomas Green Institute of Archaeology, University of Oxford published in the Journal, ‘The Heroic Age’.
- A Letter Dated 1577 from Mercator to John Dee by E. G. R. Taylor This is a Jstor paper requiring sign in to access but limited numbers papers can be read online without cost.
- The Battle of Motura: The Arrival of the Tuatha Dé Danann
- Further information on Hugh of Ireland and the map